Search This Blog

Friday, June 5, 2020

Intro

Why I want this degree:

Originally I was stuck in life, not sure which direction to go to. I decided to pursue my masters degree in photography because I wanted to become a better artist. After spending time in Art History and my first semester of MA. I became intrigued by art and I am currently wanting to learn more and use my voice through my art. I feel like this degree will help me do that in a more effective way. 

Artist Statement:
With my work I try to evoke raw emotion through my images. My photos recently have become more of a stance on issues that matter to me in the world. My work helps me find my voice in events and try to tell the full story. I am influenced by my relationships with people and nature, my personal values and the culture we live in. I would like the viewer to come away with an understanding of what's going on in society and look for change on what the reality is of the world we live in. 


My resume 

3 contemporary artists that influence me in no particular order

  1. Nick Turpin
The project that stood out to me was his “On the Night Bus” series where he documents the short break on the bus from work to home.  I’m intrigued by the series because to me I resonate with this feeling with a quick break you have to decompress from work when going home. That feeling of tiredness and exhaustion purely showing the human machine.

  1. Dan Flavin
Famous Minimalist Dan Flavin has inspired me with my work in terms of reflection. He uses neon lights and to me I enjoy seeing the reflection of color. I enjoy how the light can cause a reflection and to me it created a self reflection in my life. 
  1. Joe Greer 
I enjoy Joe’s work of street, He captures  raw emotion through streets of New york, what is interesting about his work to me is the color, his ability to capture raw emotion throughout his work is inspiring and is a push for me. 

3. Artists I don’t like.
I'm not too familiar with artists that I'm not a fan of. Had to look at some of my classmates to look at artists I don’t like

  1. Dianne Arbus
Her work is great, don't get me wrong but it also makes me super uncomfortable and is portraying the generalization of humanism. 


  1. Luc Tuymans.
To me it doesn’t mean anything and it doesn’t speak to me. 

  1. Nicole Eisenmann
I’ve seen better art from high schoolers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment